Jazz & Contemporary Music Faculty Band
Live, online concert series
Watch the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music Jazz and Contemporary Music (JCM) Faculty Band, featuring the music of the legendary musician dubbed the “greatest living jazz composer” by the New Yorker, Wayne Shorter!
Friday, April 30 at 7:30pm CT
The Music of Wayne Shorter & Original Compositions
Starting Soon | The Music of Wayne Shorter
Jazz & Contemporary Music Band
Meet The Artists
Aaron GardnerSaxophone, Flute, Jazz & Contemporary Music, Jazz & Contemporary Music Faculty Band
Hannah JohnsonPercussion, Jazz & Contemporary Music, Choir, Jazz & Contemporary Music Faculty Band, General Music
Chair, Jazz & Contemporary MusicPercussion, Jazz & Contemporary Music, Jazz & Contemporary Music Faculty Band
Michael StandalJazz, Latin Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Funk, Blues, R&B, Gospel, Alternative, Pop, Metal, Country, Folk, Fingerstyle Acoustic, Guitar, Jazz & Contemporary Music, Jazz & Contemporary Music Faculty Band
- Berklee College of Music
- WCM faculty member since 2005.
- Moved back to his roots in Milwaukee after 10 years of living in New York and touring and recording with the band ulu.
- Has played and recorded with many bands and artists, including De La Buena, Choir Fight, Jamie Breiwick, Steve Peplin, The Static Chicken, Tristan Royalty Squad, The Extra Crispy Brass Band, The Soul Trio, The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, and Eric Bennet.
- Bachelor of Music, Jazz Studies | Indiana University Jacobs School of Music
- Joined the Conservatory faculty in January 2019.
- Teaches and plays various styles of music on the drum set, specializing in jazz.
- Plays with her modern jazz quartet in the Milwaukee area.
- Featured as an instructor for the Vic Firth video series “Inside the Teaching Studio” entitled How to Sound Like Elvin Jones.
- Has played with musicians such as Leni Stern, Ingrid Jensen, and Jamie Baum.
- Enjoys teaching the bucket drumming and world percussion classes through the Conservatory Connections program, as well as private percussion lessons.
Chair, Jazz & Contemporary Music
- Bachelor of Music, Emphasis in Jazz Studies | Indiana University Jacobs School of Music
- Performer’s Certificate for Senior Recital
- WCM faculty member since 2016.
- Began playing drums at age eight and has been studying percussion since age nine.
- Co-leads tour-de-force fusion group, “Match Stick,” which released a self-titled album in 2019.
- Released his debut CD, “FLY!”, in 2014, which invites listeners on a musical journey of original compositions and out-of-the-box arrangements for 20-piece big band.
- Featured clinician for the 2015 Summerfest Big Band Camp, along with Curt Hanrahan and Mike Steinel.
- Conducted masterclasses at UW-Parkside, University of Indianapolis, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, Park Tudor School, and Nicolet High School.
- Teaches percussion at several Milwaukee public schools through the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music’s Conservatory Connections program.
- Has been a member of the Conservatory since 2017 serving as a guitar instructor, and working for the Guitar Prep Program.
- Teaching for over 33 years, Michael specializes in genres such as jazz, fusion, rock, alternative, and finger-style acoustic.
- Additionally, emphasizes in music technology, composition, and production.
- His compositions have been placed in over 1,000 different television shows and films worldwide including American Idol, Dateline NBC, The Today Show, and The Emmy Awards.
- Corporate music work includes extensive recording and production for Hal Leonard’s play-a-long series, 2018’s “Stronger Together” live music activation for Aurora Health Care and extensive jingle and custom music composition, recording and production.
- Performed, recorded and composed in an extremely wide variety of genres and styles, including Jazz, Latin Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Funk, Blues, R&B, Gospel, Alternative and Pop and proficient in Metal, Country, Folk, Finger-style Acoustic, Classical and other styles.
- Bachelor Degree | Michigan State University
- Master Degree, Jazz Studies | Florida State University
- Performs professionally in a wide variety of musical styles, as a leader and as a sideman, on upright bass and electric bass.
- Studied with world- renowned bassist, Rodney Whitaker while at Michigan State University.
- Studied classically with the Assistant Principal of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Robert Goodlett
- Taught alongside Robert Goodlett at the Quattro String Academy in Indianapolis, IN.
- Currently serves as the Bass Instructor at Eastern Illinois University.
- As a seasoned teacher, enjoys working with students with experience ranging from beginners to professionals.