Music Theory At The Conservatory
Music Theory Courses
Become more fluent in reading music, and use pianos to help visualize the musical scale. Learn more about harmony and structures that composers use when writing music, and try your hand at writing music yourself! Develop and fine-tune your ear to recognize and be able to reproduce melodies and rhythms. Classes available at all levels, and a placement exam is offered to guide you into the correct class.
Conservatory Prep Programs
Music Theory courses can be taken as part of a Conservatory Prep Package, which gives students a comprehensive and unparalleled music education. Students receive individual instruction on their instrument, a small group class with peers, and a music theory class – where students are given the tools to better understand the music that they are creating.
- Suzuki Strings | Beginner | 3 – 18 years
- Band Beginnings | Beginner | 9 – 14 years
Music Theory Faculty
Meet Our Teachers
Jennifer Rodriguez Burke
- Bachelor of Science, Music Education | Ball State University
- Master of Arts (in progress), Flute Performance | University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Spent the past 5+ years teaching woodwind sectionals, flute sectionals, and private flute lessons at a variety of schools in the greater Indianapolis area.
- Worked as the Community Programs Assistant for Classical Music Indy 2018-2019 and as Assistant Education Coordinator for the Muncie Symphony Orchestra in Spring 2018.
- Worked as an Education Intern for the Chicago based not-for-profit, Fifth House Ensemble, in 2017.
- Acted as inaugural secretary for the Flute Guild at Ball State University in 2017.
- Performed Density 21.5 in Summer 2017 at the Milwaukee Art Museum through the Fresh Inc. Festival.
- Sings with her band EKRUTEAK.
- Spends her summers working as Program Coordinator for Music for the Sake of Music, a music not-for-profit providing free lessons and music ensembles in Green Bay, WI.
- Bachelor of Science, Music Education | University of Wisconsin – La Crosse
- Master of Music, Trumpet Performance | University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Joined the Conservatory faculty in 2017.
- Plays with groups such as the Wisconsin and Milwaukee Philharmonics and the Lake County Symphony Orchestra.
- Premiered new music with Present Music and DIY Chamber Ensemble.
- Plays in the pit orchestras of dozens of musicals around Wisconsin.
- Taught master classes throughout the Midwest.
Rosemary McGee Walzer
- Bachelor of Music | Heidelberg University
- Master of Music, Instrumental Conducting | University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Music educator and saxophonist Rosemary McGee Walzer is Director of the UWM Youth Jazz Ensemble, and Director of Bands at Maple Dale Elementary School.
- During her time at UW-Milwaukee, she studied conducting with Dr. John Climer, saxophone with Curt Hanrahan, served as a graduate conducting associate with both the University Band and the Youth Wind Ensemble program, and assisted with the overall administration of the university band program.
- Additionally, she served as music director for Pankratz Arts Exchange in Mount Calvary, WI for five seasons.
- In addition to her regular teaching gigs, Rosemary has served as a guest lecturer, clinician, and music camp instructor.
- Is a regular clinician with the Woody Herman Jazz Festival, and has been invited to work with many instrumental ensembles throughout Southeast Wisconsin.
- As a performer, Rosemary was one of the winners of the Heidelberg University Concerto Competition in 2003, and received the Arthur Bean Award there in 2005.
- Freelances in the Milwaukee area and has been in several instrumental ensembles, including the funk/soul band Montage, the East Side Jazz Orchestra, the Kicks Big Band, and the Milwaukee Jazz Orchestra.